Wild time on the West Coast
Winter is a brilliant time to visit the West Coast. It has surprisingly mild temperatures and sees some spectacular sunshine, while the Southern Alps backdrop is made even more magnificent with its blanket of snow.
This tour takes in all the highlights of the West Coast Wilderness Trail – from majestic panoramas to untamed wilderness up close, to characterful towns and significant heritage sites. You also won’t have to jostle for position with peak-season road trippers!
The trail unfolds natural and human history in many memorable ways and places – such as birdlife, beautiful rivers spanned by a series of notable bridges, and railways and other byways with their own stories to tell. You’ll discover why it has become one of New Zealand’s favourite Great Rides.
Cycle Journeys Winter Cycle Tour takes in the full 136km trail between Ross, Hokitika and Greymouth over four days and is perfectly timed for a memorable long weekend. A free e-bike upgrade makes it easier and accessible to less fit riders, or those wanting more of cruise.
This trip is self-guided, with all shuttle transport, luggage transfers and three nights’ accommodation. Detailed trip notes and a free Wilderness Trail guidebook will keep you on track, help identify major landmarks and leave you with a lovely memento of your biking adventure.
This special winter promotion runs through July to 22 August.
Cycle Journeys Winter Cycle Tour highlights
- stunning West Coast scenery backed by snow-capped Southern Alps
- visit to Treetop Walkway
- ride historic railways, bush tramways, water races & more
- spectacular West Coast sunsets
- warm local hospitality at cafes & pubs including the Theatre Royal Hotel
- free e-bike upgrade
- beer tasting at historic Monteith’s Brewery (optional)
- wonderful cruise to Lake Mahinapua on Scenic Waterways’ trip (optional)
- TranzAlpine Scenic Train transport option across Arthur’s Pass (optional)
Read more about Cycle Journeys' tours.
Read more about the West Coast Wilderness Trail.