OverviewTrail Status: Open
Pureora — Ongarue (2 days, 87km)
Rejuvenate your spirit with a ride through the ancient forests of the Timber Trail.
Following old tramlines and specially designed track, the trail is a perfect weekend destination within easy reach of Auckland, Hamilton, Rotorua, Taupo and Wellington.
Expect to be wowed by the views offered by the eight large suspension bridges along the trail, the splendour of the forest, and the sounds of birdcalls as you meander 83km across the middle of the North Island.
Treat yourself to a ride along the Timber Trail soon.
The Timber Trail is a backcountry adventure so a measure of fitness will ensure you enjoy the ride and minimise any muscular injuries. Parts of the trail are quite remote and will require riders to be self-reliant or hire a guide.
- The trail rises to 980m above sea level and can be cold, even on a summer’s day. Riders are encouraged to carry warm clothing and wet weather gear at all times.
- There are minimal water stops along the trail - they include drinking water from a stream. Although the water is clean you may choose to carry water purification tablets.
- Cellphone coverage is minimal along the length of the trail.
- There are limited toilets along the trail.
- Riders are encouraged to carry an emergency locator beacon.
Trail brochures, including maps, may be obtained online or from DOC offices nationwide.
The trail rises to sub-alpine altitude and the weather can never be taken for granted at that level.
Always ensure you carry wet weather gear and warm clothing regardless of the time of year you are cycling. The weather can change rapidly at high altitudes and hypothermia may hit before you or your team have an opportunity to seek help.